Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Week 5: Evaluating Your GAME Plan Progress

In my opinion, I am on track to achieving my GAME plan goals. I have been effective in managing my time and reading and researching to find information to use with my learning community. Last week, I had my creative writing classes utilize their mobile devices to do a freewrite writing activity. I asked to student to take out their devices and select a picture. Once they selected their picture, I told them to brainstorm a list of details about that picture. After that, I gave them 15 minutes to share the details of the picture that they selected. I did have to make adjustments for students who didn't have a mobile device such as a cellphone, or an ipod. For those students I gave them a picture card instead. After I did that, I realized that I probably should have simply found a picture with my laptop and used my LCD projector to share with the students. That way, I would still be using technology. I guess I can do that next time. I realize that this lesson is pretty basic, but, I have several students that are reluctant to write, and it was motivating to them to be able to use their devices. I discovered after doing this that they were very surprised, and happy at the same time.

I am learning each and every day new ways to implement technology into my lesson plans. It is definitely a work in progress, but I feel as if I am progressing nicely. I reflect a great deal after I try using a new technology on ways that I could make the lesson even better the next time. I am looking forward to collaborating with my colleagues this week on the wiki sharing ideas and gaining insights.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy,
    Did you let your students go online and choose whatever pictures they like or you have already prepared a picture and put online somewhere for them to retrieve? Since for the former, we’ll have to set a time limit. I can see my students taking forever to do that for there are simply too many to make up their mind to. ☺
    It is clear that you have no problem in integrating technology into your classroom and that you are conscious about the integration. This is very good indeed! I feel happy for your students and yourself that technology becomes a part of your lesson and that your students are use to it too. I am happy to hear that technology does help arouse interest to those who aren’t really willing to participate. You’ve made a difference to them! Well done! ☺
    Are you working on any project with your students currently?
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome that you had your students use their phones as a part of your lesson! I am sure they were pleasantly surprised that they got to use their phones in class! It makes the activity much more meaningful to them because they got to use their own device and select a picture that they probably took themselves. I am sure that they were much more engaged in the activity because it was their own. Your students are lucky to have a teacher that finds a way to get them excited about learning! You are definitely making great steps in achieving your GAME plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pauline:

    Using technology makes you have to adjust and rethink how to do things differently. It encourages a lot of innovation, creative thinking and flexibility for the teacher who has to monitor and evaluate progress made in the lesson. Students love using their digital devices as learning tools, and I am glad to see that you are allowed that privilege during your classes. There is a lot of negativity about using their cellphones during class time, but administrations respond to negativity to shape their policies.

    Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great that you were able to reach some students that you may have difficulty reaching prior to using some of the technology that you are now reaching. Maybe your use of technology has made some of your lessons more authentic for them thus they felt more at ease participating. It looks like you are on the right track.

    ReplyDelete